Thursday, December 6, 2012

Project!

So my project is finally underway! Between reading the book and handing out my survey, I have been very busy! So first starting with the book.  When I picked up the novel at Barnes and Noble, I also came across another book which I have decided to read instead. It is called Cutting Class: Socioeconomic Status and Education.  This novel seemed to better fit the novel I had chose to read, after sampling them both.  So during the past week I have read the first four chapters of the book, and it really has opened my eyes.  Social status really does effect the level of education you achieve because your social status effects where you live and the opportunities and influences you receive in regards to your education. This was also reflected in my survey.  I handed out my surveys this week to the parents of the kids in my mom's pre-k class.  Out of 30, only 8 parents have handed the survey back to me so far, but these results are what I expected so far. 5 of these parents said that they lived in low class families and received only up to a high school education.  But these parents also said that they hope to provide their children with college educations.  I am really enjoying this project so far.  While reading the novel, I have also been recording any important facts that catch my eye.  I hope to receive more survey results from these parents so I can continue my research! 

No comments:

Post a Comment